Breakaway collars are a type of quick release dog collar that can save your dog’s life in case of an emergency. Learn how they work.
If you love your dog, you probably want to keep them safe and comfortable at all times.
One of the most essential accessories for your dog is a collar, which can serve as a way to identify them, attach a leash, or accessorize them.
However, not all collars are equally safe. Some collars can pose a serious risk of choking, strangling, or injuring your dog if they get caught on something or if another dog bites them.
This can happen when your dog is playing, exploring, or escaping.
That’s why some dog owners prefer breakaway collars, also known as quick release dog collar.
These are collars that have a special mechanism that allows them to snap open when enough force is applied, freeing your dog from any potential danger.
What Are Breakaway Collars and How Do They Work?
Breakaway collars are collars that have a feature that enables them to break open when enough pressure is applied.
This can happen when the collar gets snagged on something, such as a fence, a branch, or a crate, or when another dog bites or pulls on the collar.
The purpose of breakaway collars is to prevent choking, strangling, or neck injuries that can occur when a regular collar gets stuck or tightens around the dog’s neck.
Breakaway collars can also prevent skin irritation, hair loss, or infections that can result from wearing a collar that is too tight or rubs against the skin.
Breakaway collars usually consist of two parts: a regular buckle that you can use to adjust the size and fit of the collar, and a breakaway buckle that acts as a safety release.
The breakaway buckle is usually made of plastic and has two prongs that snap into two slots on the other side of the buckle.
When enough pressure is applied, the prongs pop out of the slots and the buckle opens.
Some breakaway collars also have a metal ring or loop that you can use to attach a leash or other accessories.
However, you should never use this ring or loop to attach a leash when walking your dog, as it will cause the collar to break away if your dog pulls.
Instead, you should use a separate non-breakaway collar or harness for leash walking.
What Are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Breakaway Collars?
Like any other product, breakaway collars have their pros and cons. Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages of these collars:
- They can save your dog’s life by preventing choking, strangling, or neck injuries that can occur when a regular collar gets stuck or tightens around the dog’s neck.
- They can protect your dog’s skin and hair by preventing irritation, hair loss, or infections that can result from wearing a collar that is too tight or rubs against the skin.
- They can give you peace of mind knowing that your dog is safe when playing with other dogs or exploring their environment.
- They are easy to put on and take off, as you just need to snap the breakaway buckle together or apart.
- They come in different sizes, colors, and designs to suit your preferences and your dog’s personality.
- They can come off too easily if your dog scratches their neck, shakes their head, or rubs against something.
- They can get lost if they come off when your dog is outside or away from you.
- They can be chewed by your dog or another dog if they are left unattended.
- They can be expensive compared to regular collars.
- They are not suitable for leash walking, as they will break away if your dog pulls.
How to Choose the Best Breakaway Collar for Your Dog?
If you decide to get a breakaway collar for your dog, there are some factors that you should consider before buying one.
Here are some tips on how to choose the best breakaway collar for your dog:
- Measure your dog’s neck size and choose a collar that fits snugly but comfortably around their neck. You should be able to fit two fingers between the collar and your dog’s neck.
- Choose a collar that has a strong and durable breakaway buckle that will not break easily but will release when needed. You can test the buckle by applying some pressure and seeing how it snaps open.
- Choose a collar that has a metal ring or loop that you can use to attach an ID tag or other accessories. This will help you identify your dog if they lose their collar or get lost.
- Choose a collar that has a reflective or bright color that will make your dog visible in low-light conditions.
- Choose a collar that is made of a soft and comfortable material that will not irritate your dog’s skin or hair.
- Choose a collar that is easy to clean and maintain, as it can get dirty or smelly from your dog’s activities.